In celebration of US Youth Soccer’s National Youth Soccer Month, Catalyst Maria High School announced the formation of a 7-player boys E-Soccer Team. “This was the players’ idea,” said Mr. José Miguel Burgos, Catalyst Maria Head Soccer Coach. “They were already competing among themselves with their neighborhood friends. So we asked how can the school get behind them, support them, and help them be successful?” Mr. Burgos arranged for the purchase of new team jerseys for the players (pictured below) and even procured new controllers for some of the student athletes who needed them.
Noting the importance of community to the sport of soccer, Burgos continued. “We want the players to feel that together they are part of something special even at a time when they are physically distanced. The simple act of putting on school or team colors can make a big difference whether you’re playing on a field or a digital platform. At the same time, it provides me an opportunity to strengthen the teacher-student relationship with the kids.”
Catalyst continues to celebrate Latinx Heritage Month! In 1968, President Lyndon Johnson launched a week-long celebration of the histories, cultures and contributions of Latinx communities to America’s national heritage. Since then, the one-week event has evolved into a commemoration from September 15th to October 15th that uplifts the cultural legacy and countless contributions of Latinx communities.
Dear Catalyst supporters,
We hope that you and your families are safe, healthy and doing well.
We are extremely excited to announce the establishment of The Catalyst Schools Alumni Persistence Fund, made possible by the generosity of long-time Catalyst friends Terry and Monica Toth. The fund's purpose is to help Catalyst alumni meet urgent needs that might otherwise be an obstacle to continuing post-secondary education. Terry and Monica established this fund to honor the spirit and legacy of John Baptiste De La Salle, patron saint of teachers of youth. Funds will be shepherded by the Catalyst Maria Post-Secondary Success Team and granted to students who need help with items such as books, computers, transportation costs, supplemental fees or other costs that interfere with progress.
This is a terrific gift that complements the existing Sisters of St. Casimir Legacy Scholarship, also established by Terry and Monica, and The CMHS Leadership in Diversity Scholarship, established by CMHS Post-Secondary team member Victoria Coriano and funded by CMHS faculty and friends. These remarkable contributions will enhance Catalyst's already superb college going and college persistence rates, as well as other post-secondary endeavors of our awesome graduates!
Catalyst Schools- Board of Directors Meeting
September 28, 2020 3:00- 5:30 PM
Or dial: +1 385-352-0435 PIN: 409 196 068#
*3:00-3:20- Welcome: Dr. Colleen Reardon, Chair and Mr. Gordon Hannon, CEO
- Review of agenda
- Review and vote for approval of May 11, 2020 Board of Directors meeting minutes, July 7, 2020 Finance Committee meeting minutes, and August 13, 2020 Academic Committee meeting minutes
- Review and vote on renewal of three-year term to Catalyst Board of Directors for Terry Toth
- Review and vote on renewal of three-year term to Catalyst Board of Directors for Steven Brown
- Review and vote on renewal of three-year term to Catalyst Board of Directors for Rick Hurd
- Review and vote on renewal of three-year term to Catalyst Board of Directors for Larry Williams
- Introduction of Monica Smith, Catalyst Circle Rock parent, as candidate for Board membership
*3:20-4:10- Academic and Mission Committee Introduction: Dr. Catherine Burns
- Dr. Catherine Burns- SY20-21 planning: Response to Two Challenges: Pandemic and Racial Unrest
- Ed Siderewicz: Focus on social justice
- Gordon Hannon
- EOY Report for SY19-20: How was each campus performing on the SQRP measures?
- LeAnne Wagner and Imran Shamim
- Start-up: Successes, Challenges, Next Steps
*4:10-4:30- Finance and Strategic Issues Committee: Mr. Steve Brown
- FY20 recap and audits update
- FY21 budget overview
- KCA campaign closure and Austin Renaissance Council update
*Public comment (limited to 2 minutes per speaker)
*4:30-5:30- Independent board compliance trainings
Dear Catalyst families,
CPS Grab-and-Go Meal Sites