The Catalyst Maria Post-Secondary team has had several inspiring events over the last two weeks, which contribute to their incredible results of one of the highest college persistence rates in Chicago!
On October 1, dozens of alumni, staff, and loved ones gathered at SPIN Chicago to celebrate an incredible 10+ years and 850+ graduates at Catalyst Maria High School!
Catalyst Maria also hosted their annual Post-Secondary Choices Fair (pictured below). This event provides juniors and seniors networking opportunities with over 35 colleges, universities, workforce programs, and union representatives. Scholars had the opportunity to engage with representatives and learn about the different opportunities available to them after high school graduation.
Finally, last week CMHS held virtual admissions interviews for Adrian College through the school's Project Intersect partnership. The Class of 2023 had 24 scholars accepted to Adrian and they collectively earned $1,620,000 in scholarships! These scholars will then go on to compete for the full tuition scholarship Adrian offers Catalyst seniors each year.
This is the 8th year of the Project Intersect-Catalyst Maria partnership. We are so grateful to Adrian College and Project Intersect, which has resulted in 16 CMHS graduates who are currently attending or have graduated from Adrian!
Last week, Catalyst Maria10th-12th grade scholars in Mr. Tom Kingsbury's Project Lead The WayBiomedical Science class gathered with family, friends, and faculty to celebrate the first Catalyst Maria White Coat Ceremony!
Together they celebrated scholars’ scholastic achievements, their commitment to hard work in the study of Biomedical Science, and their entry into the prestigious and storied field of medicine. Scholars recited the Hippocratic Oath as they begin a deep dive into the many aspects of the human body.
The Catalyst Maria team has long partnered Project Lead The Way to provide robust STEM programming in grades K-12. Educators like Mr. Kingsbury attend comprehensive professional development and combine this with their own innovative approaches to create dynamic coursework in subjects including biomedical medicine, civil and aerospace engineering, and computer integrated manufacturing.
On September 29, 2022, the Catalyst Cirlce Rock community held their Men Bring Your Child To School Day after a hiatus due to the pandemic. The event was a great success and was featured on Fox 32 News, linked here. Thank you to all of the men of the Catalyst Circle Rock community who make a tremendously positive impact on some many lives!
The Catalyst Board of Directors will hold a meeting September 26, 2022 from 3:00-5:00 pm. The agenda and meeting information are below. All Catalyst Board meetings are open to the public, with a public comment portion during the time below.
Catalyst Circle Rock Charter School
5608 W. Washington Blvd.
Chicago, Illinois 60644
*3:00-3:20- Welcome: Larry Williams, Chair and Mr. Gordon Hannon, CEO
- Review of agenda
- Review and vote for approval of May 9, 2022 Board of Directors meeting minutes; September 21, 2022 Academic Committee meeting minutes; and September 21, 2022 Finance Committee meeting minutes
*3:20-3:30 -Public comment (limited to 2 minutes per speaker)
*3:30-4:10-Academic Committee: Dr. Catherine Burns
- Update on school academic progress and plans
- Update on Catalyst Circle Rock and Catalyst Maria ISS/OSS suspension data and IEP completion rates
*4:10-4:30 - Finance and Strategic Issues Committee: Ms. Ying-Yuan Hsu
- FY23 update
- Kehrein Center for the Arts independence of Catalyst budget discussion
*4:30-5:00: Board governance items:
- Review and vote for approval for one-year renewal term of Steve Brown to Catalyst Board of Directors
- Review and vote for approval for one-year renewal term of Velia Soto to Catalyst Board of Directors
- Review and vote for approval for three-year renewal term of Dr. Kimberly Hinton to Catalyst Board of Directors
- Board terms and Board member training requirements
- For Discussion: How can the Catalyst Board ensure its foundational values and beliefs remain embedded in the fabric of the school?